Gas Service Installer
From new builds to complex, multiple sites, gas service installers work on a variety of projects, installing gas services.
- Installing new service connections to a range of clients
- Altering the position of existing gas pipes to enable redevelopment work
- Commissioning and de-commissioning gas systems
- Working with technical diagrams and plans
- Providing a full range of services on low, intermediate and medium pressure distribution and high-pressure transmission networks.
- Deploy the latest technologies and innovations to deliver a safe gas supply
- Follow strict safety procedures at all times and meet the standards laid down by the Health and Safety Executive.
- Gas service installers usually work between 35 and 40 hours per week.
- Shift work and emergency call-out cover is common and overtime may be necessary to meet deadlines
- Newly trained gas service installers can earn in the region of £17,000 - £20,000
- Trained with experience, they can earn in the region of £20,000 to £30,000
- Senior gas service installers can earn in the region of £30,000 and above
Qualifications & TrainingA common way into this career is through an apprenticeship, which provides paid employment while skills are being learned. To be accepted on an apprenticeship scheme, it is generally recommended to achieve GCSE English and maths at grade 4 (C) or above or their equivalents, such as the Welsh Baccalaureate or Scottish Nationals. Energy and Utility Skills (EUSkills) offer accredited qualification programmes that ensure the workforce in the energy and utility sector are competent, safe and confident. Energy and Utility Skills Registration (EUSR) shows that you are competent to carry out work safely on gas installations above and below ground. An NVQ or SVQ proves that you have the skills and experience you need to install and maintain gas systems safely. Accredited Certification Scheme aligned and recognised by the Gas Safe Register and other gas industry bodies, these qualifications open doors to a range of excellent job opportunities with gas utilities companies.