Land/Geomatic surveyors map the shape of land for civil engineering and construction projects so that accurate site plans can be drawn up.
The Role
  • and plays a key role in a diverse range of sectors, including Construction, Property, Cartography,  Offshore engineering and exploration, and Geographical information systems
  • Assess land due for redevelopment and survey a range of different areas, including airports, landfill sites, mines and quarries, and pipeline and distribution systems
  • Work both on site and in the office and some projects may involve overnight stays away from home
  • Surveyors who have chartered status are more likely to be involved in the managing and monitoring of projects from start to finish
  • Usually need a driving licence
  • Must be fit enough to climb ladders and hills and scramble over rough ground
  • Newly qualified surveyors can earn between £20,000 and £25,000 a year
  • This can rise to between £25,000 and £40,000 with chartered status
  • Senior surveyors can earn up to £70,000 or more
Salaries depend on location, employer and level of responsibility, and salaries and career options can improve with chartered status.
Qualifications & Training
You normally need a degree or professional qualification accredited by the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) for this career. If you have a non-accredited degree, you may need to take a post-graduate course in surveying or have more than five years of relevant work experience to become chartered. Relevant subjects include surveying, civil engineering and geographical information science. If you have an HNC/HND or foundation degree in surveying, you can look for work as a surveying technician and apply for RICS associate membership. This can also be done while you are training. You can then study to be a fully qualified land surveyor. Once you are qualified and working as a land or geomatic surveyor, you can work towards chartered status with the RICS. That means completing the RICS Assessment of Professional Competence (APC) while you’re working. You need at least two years of post-graduate experience and have to pass an interview with a panel of assessors. . Staff on construction sites must hold a Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) card or equivalent, to prove their competence to do the job. You will need to pass a health and safety test to qualify for this scheme.