Project directors have overall responsibility for the successful conclusion of construction projects.
- Regularly meeting with clients, third parties and project managers to report progress
- Monitoring progress, providing financial control and ensuring project quality
- Devising cost-effective plans and methods to enable effective completion of the project
- Managing risks to avoid delays
- Ensuring necessary permits and legal papers are secured prior to project commencement
- Ensuring project managers supervise and manage their own multidiscipline teams
- Making strategic decisions and providing the necessary leadership and direction for teams of project managers to implement those decisions
- Building strong working relationships with clients
- Project Directors usually work full-time hours
- Due to the role’s high level of responsibility, overtime would be likely in order to meet deadlines
- Project Directors with limited experience in the role can earn in the region of £40,000 to £60,000
- With experience, Project Directors can earn in the region of £60,000 to £90,000
- Senior project directors can earn in the region of £90,000 to £110,000 or higher
Qualifications & TrainingTo work as a project director you would usually be qualified to degree or postgraduate level in a relevant subject, such as construction management or business and management. For those without relevant qualifications in project management, it’s still possible to progress on the strength of industry experience. Supporting roles in project teams provide essential experience and can be combined with part-time study to complete relevant qualifications in project management. It’s also possible to work towards professional qualifications in project management to different levels and at varying times in your career. The Association for Project Management (APM), Project Management Institute (PMI) and the Chartered Management Institute (CMI) all offer a range of appropriate, professional qualifications. To progress to project director, you would need at least ten years industry experience.