Steel erectors create the strong skeleton of a building or temporary structure by installing and fixing together steel girders, pipework and beams.
The Role
  • Planning the layout of the structure using the drawings of construction engineering professionals prior to assembly
  • Working at increasingly high levels using elevated work platforms and scissor lifts
  • Aligning the steel components with tower cranes
  • Laying metal decking
  • Fixing safety netting and edge rails
  • Working out how to fit the steelwork together following engineers' instructions
  • Lifting and guiding components into position with tower cranes
  • Lining up and levelling steelwork before bolting it in place
  • Newly trained steel erectors can earn in the region of £19,000 - £25,000
  • Trained with experience steel erectors can earn in the region of £25,000 - £35,000
  • Senior or master craft steel erectors can earn in the region of £35,000 - £45,000
Qualifications & Training
There are no formal requirements to enter training as a steel erector but it helps when looking for work to have GCSEs grades 9-4 (A*-C) or equivalent in subjects such as maths, English, science and technology. Employers often look for people with some on-site experience, so if you haven’t worked in construction before you could work as an assistant to start with. Then your employer might train you in steel erection. Construction Apprenticeships are a common way into this career. Getting on to an apprenticeship scheme usually involves taking a selection test. As an apprentice, you study towards NVQ/SVQ Level 2 and 3. Apprentices learn a range of techniques and procedures relating to steel erecting, ranging from cutting and shaping steel; installing in-situ and/or prefabricated steel; using power tools; operating powered access equipment (mobile platforms and cherry pickers); and safe working practices. Most construction and engineering firms now insist that site workers have a CSCS card or are part of a related scheme. The card is proof of your skills and competence. Getting a card means passing a health and safety assessment and having a relevant NVQ (or equivalent qualification). If you’re working without qualifications, you might be able to do On-Site Assessment and Training (OSAT) or Experienced Worker Practical Assessment (EWPA) to get your NVQ and card.